Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Love Letter

Today i was reading Philippians Chapter 3. This is a familiar portion of the bible in that (v. 14) is my life verse. As I was reading I thought myself about how the bible, the entire book is a love letter written by God to us.
Amidst all the hectic-ness of life, the emails, the cell phones, our daily work, isn't it awesome to know that we have a love letter from God that we can open at any time? I too, like many of us, tend to shift my bible reading to the back burner. Yet anytime I pick it up and read, i always gain new insight from it.
Here's an example. About a week ago, I was going through some old books and came across a bible that was given to me by my grandmother in 1987 (I was 14 years old). The bible was large, and as I picked it up I remembered that I wrote some things in it. As I hurried through the front index I came across a prayer that I had written to myself and a note that my grandmother had written to me. It was so cool. i had forgotten that both of these writings were there, and now 21 years later here I was sobbing at the memories this prayer brought back.
I continued reading and saw some scripture that I had underlined, and a red felt cross that was given to me at Vacation Bible School that year. Once again within this love letter there was so much that God had led me to do, and little did I know how awesome it would be to hold that bible open again and read something I and my grandmother had written.
Sadly my grandmother is no longer with me, but that memory that warm fuzzy feeling inside washed over me. Philippians 3:12 states, "Not that i have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me".
The bible is our love letter, our road map when things are not as they should be.

May God Bless your week, and Heaven Smile on you!
PJ

1 comment:

Doreen said...

What a great story! Please change the color of your blog, it hurts my eyes to read it!!
PS- I bought you Raisin Bran today for when you visit next month with my Shelly!!

Miss you guys...