Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Count Your Blessings

Hey all,
On Tuesday I had the awesome opportunity to take 17 teens who are in Youth Disicpleship to volunteer in Detroit at My Brother's Keeper. For those of you who don't know, on the last two Tuesday's of the month we support in the way of food ministry, 2 impoverished local areas. Grace center's of Hope in Pontiac, and My Brother's Keeper in Downtown Detroit. As I gave the message I was reminded of the fact that the area we wereministering in was about a 10 minute drive from where I grew up. It was a very emotional moment for me to say the least. As we prayed , sang, and the teens shared scripture it warmed my heart to see them work so hard.
I must tell you as I sit and type this I think of the words of Proverbs 10:5, especially when it comes to our teens. They need to recognize that there is a world out there. Something beyond their homes, where people are suffering. In truth we all do.
There will be those that sit at their tables and not have food to eat on Thursday. On tuesday we got the opportunity to serve over 70 people who needed a meal. Further, we were able to give them a spiritual meal (definitely something that will last). One of our teens, Joel, gave his testimony to those in attendance. It was a powerful moment.
As our teens wrestle with lifes tough questions the fact that is does not take a mission trip to another country to open their eyes, but a 45 minute drive to Detroit to make a difference. As our teens begin preparations for our 30 hour Fast to raise money for the Homeless in January 2009 (see calender) be in prayer for them.
As we debriefed on the way home, many of the teens echoed that, "it just doesn't seem fair", and that they want to do more to help people. I challenged them to pray as to how they will be used by God. Again I think, "The Hour of opportunity" mentioned in Proverbs 10:5. Isn't it exciting that they are not willing to "sleep the time away", but to recognize a world of need beyond their own.
Perhaps you thinkto yourself as you read this. "What can I do". I say, support our feeding ministries, and support our teens as they get involved! Challenge them, because they are ready to fight for something. Isn't it awesome that they are choosing to fight for God! Let us support them as they strive to do so!

May God Bless you and Heaven Smile on you all.
Truly be Thankful for all that you have!
Pastor Jason

1 comment:

Unknown said...

PJ this definitely opened my eyes, because lately I will admit I have been getting a little bit selfish and this kinda "brought me back down to earth, and into reality" in a sense