Sunday, April 27, 2008

In times of Heartache

Thursday night shortly before GAPP I recieved a message letting me know that a precious child, 14 years old, from a youth group in our district had died. Furthermore, she had committed suicide. My heart immediately felt broken. I had met her at Family camp last summer and again at NEXT (the Wesleyan Youth Leadership weekend). She was a delightful young lady, and as I reflect upon her my heart is filled with sadness that many of our teens may be struggling with these feeling too.
As I spoke to GAPP it became all too apparent that there are so many things in this world that try to overwelm us. We spent quite a bit of time at the altar looking for understanding, for clarity and for something to ease the breaking of hearts. Over 90% of those teens had been touched in some way by suicide. As I write this, some statistics say that somewhere, somewhen a teen will kill themselves. Again, my heart fills with sadness.
As I stood at her funeral and talked with God, my prayer was this, that God would strengthen us all to be ambassador's of his word. To take the living Jesus to the decaying world that is out there. As I minister with teens I continually realize one thing, many that I come into contact with would never say they need Jesus, but deep down they know they do.
So as you continue on this journey this week, be mindful of those around you who need a touch from Jesus. Are you willing to be that vessel?
I am reminded of the scripture that accompanied the services for this young lady. I pray that you are blessed by this:
"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and recieve you unto myself; that where I am, there you may be also" John 14: 1-3

May God Bless you and Heaven smile on you!
Pastor Jason

No comments: